The House

A history of Pinner Hill club house and Pinner Hill estate.-Now a thriving golf club

It was the Griggs brothers* who were originally responsible for developing the Hill, acquiring Pinner Hill House and the surrounding land in 1919. The country house they purchased was somewhat of a mishmash of architectural styles; the culmination of a number of previous owners’ differing tastes and eras. The house as it stands today was built in the 1780s and added to in the first part of the nineteenth century and again in the 1860s, but a mansion has existed on this plot since at least the 1630s, when Sir Christopher Clitherow decided that he would like a country pile befitting his social rank of Lord Mayor of London and acquired a part of the 135 acre Pinner Wood, known as Spinnells.

 

Pinner Hill House, Three generations of the Clitherows lived at Pinner Hill. Sir Christopher, the first to live there was the son of a wealthy city merchant of the Iron Mongers Company. He was admitted to the East India Company in 1601 and became governor in 1638. Over a large number of years there have been many high profile people who have lived there including. 1658 Sir Bartholomew Shower, in 1755 it was purchased for Lady Jane Bridges by the Marquis of Caernarvon, a relative of the 1st Duke of Chandos. In 1801 Sir Albert Pell lived there followed by Arthur W Tooke in 1845 who built Woodhall Towers and Pinner Hill Farm & Clock Tower. It was one of the best society houses in Pinner, it is now home to Pinner Hill Golf Club.

The Ice House - This brick domed construction is 12ft deep and originally connected to the house by a tunnel. Ice would remain frozen underground providing unique storage for perishables all year round.

 

 

Visitors; join our Mailing List to stay updated on the latest news and events

 

Club Life

 

 

 

CONTACT

Pinner Hill Golf Club
South View Road
Pinner Hill, Middlesex HA5 3YA
020 8866 0963

Please note that our phone system may record your call for training purposes